Wednesday, January 18, 2017

REMEMBERING NILDE



Revelation 21:
Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 


In the description of the new Heaven and the new Earth, God loudly says, ‘I make everything new’. The old earth that we live on will be reformed and restored to brand new condition.

Isn’t it interesting how you can look at someone’s baby picture and still recognize him or her? They may be 68 years old but something of their expression and personality is still here.

The same is true of children. When I met with Jessica and James to plan their mother's funeral, I saw physical and personality reminders of their mother Nilde. What a powerful thing that our generations bear a resemblance to that which came before.

It is a fact of cellular life that cells divide and are recreated continuously. Your physical condition has changed continuously through life as you age. Most of your parts have been replaced but your DNA and your spirit have remained constant. There is something about you that is made to remain through every change.

The early church writer Paul talked about the process of change and constancy when he wrote these words.


1 Corinthians 13:
11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.


As the writer looked at the future, he compared seeing a reflection to actually being face to face. You may see someone’s reflection in the mirror but it lacks the intimacy and presence of turning to actually face the person.

John’s vision of the new Heaven and the new Earth is like a mirror reflection for us to stare at. In the reality that the reflection reveals, the truth of who God is and who we are will be fully experienced.

By faith, Nilde looked to Jesus. She saw his reflection and felt his presence throughout her life. And now, she has turned to encounter Jesus face to face.

Her time in front of life’s mirror has been preparing herself as a Bride getting ready to meet the Groom. The best of what she has done has prepared her to finally be with Jesus.

When we look into the mirror at ourselves, what do we see?


James 1:
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.


 Jesus came to teach us how to love. In loving God and loving one another we prepare ourselves to face the God of love.
-->




-->

No comments:

Blog Archive